02 June 2008

Something Unexpected

On Saturdays I try to go for a long bike ride. Not only do I generally enjoy it, but it also helps in the build up to the London to Brighton bike ride on 15 June. This past weekend I headed up from the Kent/London borders to central London then south through Croydon and into the Surrey hills looping back home via Westerham. It was a round trip of 54 miles and the ride along the top of the hills was just terrific – magnificent views, made more pleasurable knowing that the longest and worst hills were behind me. This week however there were some unexpected pleasures. Firstly, cycling high up the hill above Westerham I passed a dedicated guy standing in a field practising his bagpipes. It hadn’t occurred to me before that finding a suitable place to practice that particular instrument must be tough at times, especially if you’re a beginner. Frankly, I could think of no better place than the middle of a field. There he was, in a field, the mist rising and the stirring sound of the pipes being sent down the hill for all to hear. Shortly afterwards, I was joined by a crow that flew alongside me for at least 2 minutes, almost with arms reach. What a beautiful bird. Amazing. Then I got brought back to earth with a bang – this time by a Currys delivery van that nearly knocked me off the bike because he didn’t look when he turned out of a side street. Idiot! Finally, I’m still getting used to having cleats on the bike – shoes which clip to the pedals. Sometimes you forget when you come to a stop. And when you forget you fall off. I fell off.

No comments: