13 June 2008

Getting ready for Sunday

The London to Brighton bike ride is fast approaching. Just 2 days to go. I’ve been dithering over which bike to use. Should I go on the road bike, which is faster but which is harder in traffic because the brakes are not so good and I’m still getting used to stopping and starting with cleats on? Or should I go with the hybrid/commuter bike, which is a little slower but much better in traffic as I sit more upright and have better visibility? It also has much better brakes (V-brakes) and toe clips on the pedals which are considerably easier in stop-start traffic.

On balance, not knowing what 27,000 cycles going in the same direction at the same time actually feels like I think I’ll err on the side of caution and go with the hybrid bike. Next decision is what to take. Looks like rain, so my waterproof jacket will be a must, plus a couple of water bottles, phone and roadside repair kit. Maybe also a spare pair of socks and a dry shirt would be a good idea. I think that’s probably all.

If you’re doing the ride, good luck and do look out for me. I’ll be the confused one wearing number 16640, starting from Clapham at 8.00am.

No comments: