22 June 2008

Blending Again

How many social networks should I belong to? Just one with everything mixed in, or should I belong to several depending on which role (or where my head is) at any one time? I think it will depend upon the individual and the way corporate organisations react to the blended lifestyle. Some people are comfortable already with work and personal being mixed, others are less so. I suspect it's all moving in a blended direction though. Interestingly, my emails are not blended, but that's because of my company’s email policy - in particular an Intranet/Internet use policy which implies I can get the sack for time wasting if I over do it. This will need to be challenged at some point, because in a new blended world it may not be reasonable for people to have to maintain two 'connections' (work and private) when work and private has become so blended. For example, do I fall foul of the internet misuse policy if I spend two hours in the evening surfing in my personal capacity, before doing another two hours work prior to going to bed? Or do I only fall foul of the policy if those two hours are between 9 and 5? I certainly think company policies will need to be reviewed in the light of all these changes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think a lot of these policies are de facto changing, if not de jure.

If you follow the tweets of many colleagues, they use gmail anyway, and reserve nothing but obloquy for our corporate mail services with its anachronistic 50M(!)limits.

Whisper it who dares, but I understand some colleagues have even blown away the approved build on their PCs to replace them with Ubuntu. JP has eloquently talked about how our newer employees bring tools into the Enterprise. It's happening. Now.

However fuddy-duddies like me feel about talking about internal matters externally - it's happening. I guess there are some senior level forums happening?