23 October 2007

It Took A Long Time, but I made it in the end


It’s now 5 years since I finally got motivated to do something about my weight. Over the course of the first year I managed to lose about 65 pounds. I did this through sensible eating, and a vigorous exercise regime. I feel good, and better than that I’ve managed to stay fit – although the doctors will probably tell me I could easily shed another 15 pounds or so. But hey, I’m fit, healthy and happy! And I think I buck the trend as a ‘fatty’ who has managed to keep the weight off.

It’s not easy though. I think I’m one of those people who is going to have a lifelong struggle with my weight, but doing the active things I enjoy (running, cycling and sports in general) gives me rather more scope than if I was leading a sedentary life style.

The next few months are really a steady build up to the London Marathon. Make no mistake, I don’t see myself as a marathon runner, but I do see the London Marathon as the culmination of my efforts. I don’t intend to make it a regular thing – the training regime is just too punishing for my fragile legs, but I have to do it just once. And the next one will be my last opportunity before I hit 50!

So pop back from time to time and check out my progress.

No comments: