28 December 2007

Volver

I seem to have watched a lot of Pedro Almodovar films recently, so when Volver came on the TV I felt I was obliged to see his latest work. I was not disappointed. Another terrifically thoughtful story line, well acted, and very Spanish! The plot unfolds beautifully as the film progresses and the viewer slowly understands the intricate connections between the story lines, rather than the sudden ‘reveal’ often found in less well crafted productions. A highlight for me is that Penelope Cruz proved that she is able to play stronger women, rather than the weaker type she is normally cast as, and her performance is one of the best parts of the film.

All in all, this is possibly less jarring and deals with less contentious issues than some of Almodovar’s other films, however, it’s not a fairy tale and has the trademark non-gloss reality of films made outside the USA. Well worth watching.

No comments: