10 December 2007

The Golden Compass

I think the ‘His Dark Materials’ trilogy is one of the best books I have read for years. A fantasy that is only a tiny step removed from our own reality, with some refreshingly original ideas. Beautifully written, colourful and rhythmic, it appealed both to me and my children. If you haven’t read it yet, I would encourage you to do so. And I think you should do so before you see the film, otherwise you might find the big screen makes no sense.

I was looking forward to seeing the film version - The Golden Compass - last night and I’m afraid I left the cinema feeling deeply disappointed. Taking a successful fantasy epic to the screen is never easy, but I’m afraid this effort from director and screen play writer Chris Weitz left me feeling as though I was missing something. The film failed to catch the colour and depth of the book. Superficial, it lacked the detail that made the books great. I guess I’ve been spoiled by the Lord of the Rings masterpieces, On the up-side, the visual effects are stunning and you don’t feel for even one moment they’re not real.

Oh, and if you live in the Greenwich area you might find you’ll recognise some places.

No comments: