07 December 2007

Hairspray

I went with Daisie to see Hairspray last night at the Shaftesbury Theatre. It's a superb show. High energy, some strong performances and a terrific atmosphere in the theatre (which was full). I thoroughly recommend it.

I paid £20 each for two tickets in the Grand Circle - at the very back of the theatre [Row J, seats 12 and 13]. These were excellent value, with a good view and plenty of leg room. Also the advantage of not having anyone sitting behind you. If you fancy it, book your tickets on one of the websites that tells you which seats you are buying, then check them out on Theatre Monkey where there are seating plans for all the theatres with recommendations on which are good and which are bad seats.

I have to tell you though, this morning I'm not humming any of the songs from the show, so I don't think the music is as legendary as, say, Phantom of the Opera or Lion King, but the production is terrific, the large cast enthusiastic, and the performances - especially from Michael Ball and Mel Smith - first class. My favourite scene was the number 'Back to the Sixties' when the Dynamites step out of the advert. Check out the video on the official site. The other high point was the duet between Wilbur (Mel Smith) and Edna (Michael Ball) which brought the house down. They were obviously enjoying themselves!

No comments: