05 December 2007

Getting faster

One of the important things about training for a marathon is to vary your exercise regime. Long run after long run will not help you improve as much as a structured training schedule which mixes different activities. It's crucial to undertake shorter, faster sessions, and to include some hill work. With that in mind, today I was scheduled to do a short fast run. I did a 3 or 4 minute jog, followed by my stretches then set off in the wind and rain to try and get under 50 minutes for 10k. That might not sound fast, but it is for me. I romped home in 48'51 seconds, with plenty of running left in my legs. A couple of days rest before I'm due to do a 21 or 22k road run. That's half marathon distance and I'll be doing it either on Saturday or Sunday, depending on the weather. I'll be aiming to hit 2 hours. Although that's not the fastest I've done, I want to take it easy to stay injury free. The speed will come later.

Join me if you like!

No comments: