27 March 2008

What is an intranet?

Intranets in large organisations are fundamentally different in nature to intranets in small organisations. In fact I believe only large multi-site intranets can truly be called intranets. Single site intranets are not really intranets as they tend to be managed centrally, with content responsibilities detached from the processes that generate the information. However, I think the social media platforms - in particular wikis - offer a chance to change this. So, instead of going to expensive design and production agencies, these smaller organisations should deploy a wiki platform, tell people about it and then see what happens. I'm sure you'll then see a true intranet emerge - i.e. with distributed content responsibilities, with the added benefit of building in collaboration capability from the start. Just a thought.

1 comment:

ShaiDorsai said...

Hah. Sandy Blair and I have discussed wikis often, including here. I like them, provided you have a *community* of people who'll use them.

The frustration I experience in trying to correct errors and typos in a large intranet is significant.