16 March 2008

Speed The Plow

Saturday we went to see Kevin Spacey, Jeff Goldblum and Laura Michelle Kelly playing David Mamet's Speed-the-plow at Old Vic.

The Old Vic is one of my favourite theatres. Large enough to foster an atmosphere, but small enough for intimacy, so I always have great expectations when I do go. And I was not disappointed.

This is a great show. Mamet's play about the cut, thrust and ultimately fickle nature of Hollywood is a simple story, beautifully acted. The speed of the dialogue is awesome. The interplay between the two principle actors - Spacey and Goldblum is mesmerising, yet easy to follow. And Kelly's more gentle role as the office temp provides a perfect counterpoint. This was one of the best plays, and best stage performances I seen for ages.

See it if you can.

No comments: