16 January 2008

Facebook

My colleague Richard Dennison goes head to head with Tom Hodgkinson over his Guardian article on the politics of Facebook. Richard makes a very interesting observation about the fickle nature of the social networking world, particularly in the UK. I often wonder if - when the next new ‘big thing’ in the social networking world emerges - people will abandon Facebook and migrate – like Wildebeest – to something else.

Or will we just tire of it? I completely acknowledge the value of social networking inside an organisation, and I’ve found it a little useful in my private life just keeping track of friends, but it is increasingly reminding me of Friends Reunited. A great flurry of activity, which slowly but surely went stale. I know it’s not quite the same thing, but it is similar.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a sneaking suspicion in 18 months time you may well over-hear the following converstaion:

Person A: "Have you tried Splodge?"

Person B: "What's that?"

Person A: "A new social networking site."

Person B: "No. I wonder what happened to that old networking site ... what was it called ... oh, yes - Facebook?"

Person A: "Dunno."

;-)