16 January 2008

Caetano Veloso

The Caetano Veloso CD finally arrived from Play.com over the Christmas period. The first CD seems to have been lost in the post, but Play’s no quibble policy soon had another copy on its way to me.

My first reaction was of disappointment. Probably foolishly, I selected the ‘Definitive Collection’ album, which seems to be an odd mix of material, from his earliest to his latest. As an album it doesn’t really work, but then ‘best of’ albums seldom do.

Having listened to it a few times now though I’ve found it has grown on me. Veloso has an interesting voice, not quite perfect in the way we’re used to our manufactured and highly produced music being and some of his interpretations of the Bossa and Samba rhythms are truly original. My preference though is for the later, more mellow songs, such as Odara and Coisa Mais Linda which suit Veloso’s voice much better.

If only I could speak Portuguese! Here's the critically acclaimed version of Cucurucucu, Paloma which Veloso sang in 'Hable Con Ella', the Pedro Almodovar film which first brought him to my attention.

All in all though I’m glad I stumbled across this guy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

To hear Caetano's versatility and originality, try "Noites do Norte - Ao Vivo."