18 January 2008

Come on Virgin - you can do better than that!

Last year we had a lovely family holiday in Florida. We flew with Virgin Atlantic. We mixed time in the parks, with time relaxing by the pool. Took in a couple of baseball games and did a bit of shopping. Then we arrived at Orlando International airport for our flight home and came face to face with a 12 hour delay. Okay, these things happen and although it was uncomfortable and tempers started to fray we were reasonably well looked after both at the airport and on the flight home.

The time duly passed and as we boarded the flight, we were each handed a letter explaining the delay, apologising and offering us 10,000 Flying Club points as compensation. Great.

Shortly after arriving home, I duly sent off all four letters for the points to be credited to my account. I got a reply a week or so later telling me that my account would only be credited with the points in my name. My wife and two children would have to open their own accounts - even though I had been credited with the points for the original booking. Those of you with Virgin Flying Club accounts will know that 10,000 points are pretty worthless, so at a stroke the compensation for a very long and uncomfortable delay was taken away. The grand gesture was just that, an empty gesture.

I sent a letter to Virgin. No reply.

Another letter. No reply.

So today I emailed them. And got an email failure due to ‘insufficient disk space’ on their email servers. So much for customer service.

I shall certainly think twice before booking another flight with Virgin!!

No comments: