12 February 2010

Friday Night Ride To The Coast

I cycle. I like cycling challenges, which usually means long distance. And I like to be part of a cycling event. However, I'm getting on a bit and I'm overweight. And I don't like the ultra competitive, 'must have the right gear', Sportive events (although I have done some). On my bike, I've had most fun and met the best people, on mass participation events such as the various Bikeathons. I even enjoyed the London to Brighton ride (twice), even though it was far too busy.

So, it weas great to come across the Friday Night Ride To The Coast.

Once a month, under a full moon, between 50 and 100 cyclists of all kinds assemble under Marble Arch at midnight before heading towards the coast - Brighton, Southend, Whitstable and so on - to arrive in time for beakfast.

It sounds like it's organised in a very inclusive way, allowing for all levels of cycling ability and machine. With good company and a good breakfast to look forward to at the end, it could be just what I've been looking for.

Count me in!