27 December 2008

Territoriality

Technology has allowed us to become flexible workers. It has released us from our fixed desks. It has turned work from somewhere we go, to something we do. And those of us (and I include myself) who have embraced this new way have reaped real benefits in terms of productivity and work life balance. This is been proven through many pieces of research. However, human nature doesn’t give in that easily. During recent office moves at the work place I go to most, I was surprised about how territorial people can still be and I was given a sharp reminder that even in organisations which are truly world leaders in flexible working, it is far too easy to overlook the seemingly fundamental human need for security, stability and territory. Making the transition from office based to fully flexible requires coaching, support and a little time. It doesn't always happen naturally.

No comments: