25 December 2008

Edinburgh

Aaliyah once said, “Age ain’t nothing but a number”. Having reached a significant milestone – involving a ‘5’ and an ‘0’ – I have to tell you I feel no different to when I was in my forties, thirties, twenties even! In fact, I feel healthier, fitter and happier now than I've felt for a long time!

To celebrate, I was treated to a long weekend in Edinburgh. We stayed at the Balmoral Hotel on Princes Street, a hotel which I used to stay at regularly many years back when I was a frequent visitor to Edinburgh. It’s where I wanted to go. I remember it as being a wonderfully Scottish hotel, all tartan, Thistle and wood-fire warm. Of course it’s changed hands since I was last there, and is now a Rocco Forte hotel. The décor has changed and is all trendy beige and chocolate, which is a little disappointing for a hotel in the heart of a great Scottish city and which very much forms part of the backdrop of the landscape. One thing that hasn’t changed though is the standard of service. It is truly outstanding. Just the right attention to detail, without being overbearing. The Number One restaurant is proud of its Michelin Star, and it’s easy to see why. Exceptional cooking, well served – by a surprisingly young staff.

I thoroughly enjoyed being a tourist for the weekend. We took a bus tour, spent time on the Royal Yacht Britannia out at Leith and trudged up the Royal Mile to spend an afternoon at Edinburgh Castle. All well worth a visit. It’s a wonderful place at Christmas.

My abiding memory of Edinburgh is the skyline at night. Standing on Princes Street, looking out towards Old Town, has to be one of the best cityscapes in Europe.

Get there if you can. And if you live there, don’t take it for granted.

No comments: