26 December 2008

Joseph

Oh dear! I bought tickets for Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Coat at the Adelphi Theatre in London’s West End some months ago. I remember seeing it way back with Jason Donovan in the lead role and when it was revived as part of the ‘Any Dream Will Do’ TV talent show, I thought it deserved a further viewing. How wrong I was.

The production was mediocre, too many trivial attempts at humour gave it a panto-esque feel, and I’m sorry to report that Lee Mead – the TV show winner playing the part of Joseph – was very disappointing. His acting (such as he needed to do) was not great and his signing was very odd – nasal and flat. His phrasing of the songs had all the hallmarks of someone who has been in the role too long. Perhaps that’s why he’s being replaced by Gareth Gates shortly. Jenna Lee-James playing the narrator had a better singing voice – pretty good actually – but her extreme facial expressions were really off putting.

Of course, the audience loved it. A mix of kids and West End virgins almost guaranteed a standing ovation. How disappointing. If only they’d seen the revival of Evita at the very same theatre just a couple of years ago they’d have realised how very good Andrew Lloyd-Webber and Time Rice actually were.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Were you the genetleman that asked the usher on the way out of the theatre if Lee Mead always sings through his nose? I understand we are all entitled to our opinions of the show, but I did think at the time that you were wrong to put the usher in such an awkward position with your question. I thought the night you refer to (assuming it was you that I heard ask the question) was brilliant. Lee Mead performed exactly as I hoped and expected him too. The cast were fantastic, considering that they were very short of brothers and some having to double up their roles.

If nothing else this show give 2hrs of fun, comedy and music - meaning that we can escape the 'real' world and forget Credit Crunch' worries albeit for a very short time.

I came away from the show wishing that I could go straight back in and do the whole thing again as I am sure most others that night (and everynight) do.

Ross Chestney said...

It wasn't me who spoke to an usher Celia. However, whoever did obviously thought the same as I did about Lee's performance. I'm glad you enjoyed it though. I also spotted the shortage of brothers and wasn;t sure of that was deliberate, or they were just having to improvise on the night.

If you want a really good West End show, try Wicked at the Apollo Victoria.