14 November 2008

Tiger Tales

The Tiger is not a happy beast at the moment. Since the new Megajolt system was installed it has not been running well. That may be coincidence, or it may be related. I’m not sure and will be investigating further over the winter. On the rolling road the car was re-mapped and the twin Weber 45s tuned. The dyno read-out showed power at 173bhp, up by 5bhp since the Megajolt installation. However, the car is very reluctant to start and when it does, it only runs on three cylinders until it is fully warm. There’s a spark, and there’s fuel, so it’s a bit of a mystery. I suspect either the timing is a little out – perhaps the trigger wheel sensor has moved slightly, or maybe there’s a sticking valve which only comes loose when the head warms up.


I took my Dad with me on the last track day. It was his first time driving on a race track. I think he found it daunting, but nevertheless, he drove quite a few laps and seemed to enjoy it. We shared a garage with a Holden Monaro (read Vauxhall VXR8) which is a real monster car, and shared the track with many interesting cars, including a whole set of race prepared Beetles testing for their race series. Once warmed up, the Tiger ran well for most of the day – until the alternator packed in (again) towards the end of the afternoon. This was expected (I had a spare with me), and certainly didn’t spoil the enjoyment.


So, that’s it for 2008. The car goes into storage now until the Spring and will be tucked away in a Carcoon through the worst of the weather, only being brought out when I feel like tackling the jobs that need doing.

No comments: