21 November 2008

The longest reboot - EVER!

Last Friday, as I plugged in the mouse to the USB port on my 5-year old Toshiba notebook computer, there was a small spark, followed by darkness. No display, no hard drive whirring, no fans buzzing. Nothing. I tried all sorts of things to bring it back to life, but nothing worked. Even though the power light was on, there was clearly no-one at home. So, I packed it up, unplugged everything rerady to take it to a repair shop and left it on the table. There followed some web searches, a trip to PC World and so on and by Sunday morning I had a fresh new Toshiba laptop. By Sunday might all the applications had been re-loaded and I was feeling quite satisfied that the house laptop had been restored with only a couple of days loss of data.

Then, without warning or being touched, the fans on the old 'broken laptop' came on. I opened the lid and sure enough it started to boot. And it has worked ever since. So well done Toshiba for building a piece of kit that seems to be able to heal itself! Even if 48 hours does seem an awful long time to re-boot.

No comments: