02 December 2009

Well I suppose it had to happen

I was knocked off my bike on the way home from work last week. Quite a nasty incident. I was riding in a cycle lane on a downhill stretch, probably doing about 15mph when a car pulled through a line of traffic right in front of me. I was too close to be able to take any evasive action and I ploughed heavily into the passenger's door. With a heavy impact like that I don't remember too much about it. I know I was knocked into the air and came down heavily on my back, banging my head on the ground in the process. It took me a few minutes to come round, and then I started to assess where it hurt. Which was pretty much everywhere! I do also remember clearly going limp when I realised impact was inevitable, there was no instinct to put my arm out or anything like that. Just let the body go limp.

Eventually I was on my feet, exchanging details etc. and checking my bike for damage. My new bike that is. The front wheel was buckled, but I couldn't see much other damage, so I limped off home.

The next morning, following a very restless night I paid a visit to the casualty department of the local hospital where various x-rays and tests showed damaged tendons and joints in the shoulder and a possible cracked rib, but no fractures. In addition I had scraped my knees, badly bruised my wrist and thumb and was quickly developing a sore back and neck.

A week on, and after another visit to the fracture clinic I am about to start on a programme of physiotherapy to assist the healing process in the shoulder.

And the bike is back from a crash assessment at the local shop which concluded there was no damage to the frame or the fork, but the front wheel needed a new rim and spokes as part of a re-build. Unusually, I was commuting on my steel framed Audax bike. I think the strength and quality of the frame prevented any more serious damage. I'm convinced my usual aluminium commuter, or a more expensive carbon bike would not have fared so well.

All in all, it could have been a lot worse. A second or two earlier and the car would have hit me, instead of me hitting the car, or I could have gone over the top.

It's not going to stop me riding though, and I still have my sights on Lands End to John O Groats in 2010.

A final thought. I hit my head hard, and I am very grateful that I was wearing a helmet. I see a lot of people cycling in London without one. They are fools! Wear your helmet.

No comments: