14 June 2009

Great Kent Bike Ride

I spent a terrific few hours this morning completing the Great Kent Bike Ride in aid of the Canterbury Oast Trust. It was a beautiful morning when I left home, but by the time I got the start line in Ashford it was overcast and had been raining quite heavily. This meant the roads were wet (very wet in places) - normally not a problem, but yesterday I removed the knackered mudguards on my bike following the promise of good weather. So, for the first hour I suffered a lot of spray, however, it was warm and there was no wind to speak of - making the cycling much easier.

I opted for the longer 60 miles route, which was mostly on very quite Kent country roads, through villages with great names such as Shadoxhurst and Wittersham. The sun duly came out, making the ride very pleasant indeed. With only one real hill to test riders, stunning scenery, a friendly atmosphere and not an insane number of riders, this is definitely on the calendar for next year.

You can find the details of my route and time here.

No comments: